Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago (1)

Blog on http://twcnomad.blogspot.com

 

Now in Port of Spain, capital of Trinidad and Tobago, my 138th country/polity. Hot, humid tropical climate & friendly people. I have been warned this is a dangerous city with lots of mugging but that danger wasn't apparent as I walked on the streets.  Panama City and Tegucigalpa appeared a lot more threatening.  And the radio chat show I heard in the taxi I travelled from the airport to the city centred on an ongoing political debate on rising crime.  Whatever it is, I am exercising caution and tried to be as alert as I could. 

 

Met old LBS/Dresdner London mate, Dexter (who's from here), and his friend Ronni, yesterday. With them, I had the local specialty, shark and bake, at beautiful coconut-ringed Maracas Bay near Port of Spain, had a drink at a rum shop at St James and watched locals practicing steel pan to prepare for the coming Carnival, which everyone said was a pity that I would miss.

 

Still recovering from 40+hr series of flights from Singapore.  Pain in my leg has largely subsided and I hope it was just muscle twist.

 

My Singapore mobile does not roam here (and many surrounding countries) and I have acquired a Trinidad Bmobile sim card which is supposed to roam in the region.

 

South America is about 20km from here and tonight, I will fly to Georgetown, capital of Guyana.  Back to South America for 1st time since 2002.  Tomorrow, I will do a day excursion to Kaieteur Falls, the world's tallest single-drop waterfall.

 

Comments