Found a huge box I haven't opened for over 8 yrs at parents' place. In it were paintings, embroidery and souvenirs I have long thought lost or entirely forgotten about.
Let me do a partial inventory list: 1) An Andean embroidery from Ecuador (have wondered for a long time where this had gone to) depicting Andean village scene, with llamas, peasants, cactus, sheep, etc 2) a simpler Ecuadoran mat depicting the condor and two ladies in traditional costume 3) a colourful checkerbox Peruvian shoulder scarf with many llamas 4) a rug of unknown origin - motifs of cats, dogs, birds that look like the Guatemalan national bird - quetzal, crocodiles and strange tribal symbols - maybe this was from Guatemala, but the little man on it looks more Amazonian tribal. There is also a tribal shield there that looks more African but I hadn't done Africa in 2002. The back of the rug reveals knots that appear more Middle Eastern than Latin America. Mystery!
5) a printed image of an Orthodox icon from Ukraine
6) a strange stone egg with pink lines of unknown origin
7) a wrist band with Turkish evil eye...blue of different shades...pretty.
8) an Egyptian papyrus depicting the creation of the world and the daily cycle of life
9) another Egyptian papyrus depicting gods and kings
10) a print of St George the Dragonslayer on cloth, perhaps bought from Rila Monastery, Bulgaria
11) a Turkish blue china plate
12) Oil and frankincense from the Church of Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem
13) souvenir elephant from Thailand
14) a box of two green balls with panda motifs and a pin depicting Tiananmen
15) a pin with a Swiss stamp
16) a hair pin jewellery piece from Morocco
17) a Tibetan prayer wheel bought in Chengdu, Sichuan
18) a plastic souvenir of the Church of St Paul, Macau
19) an another image of St George the Dragonslayer from Syria
20) a gaucho cowboy hat and saddle souvenir piece from Uruguay
21) a Russian doll
22) a medal with images of Lenin and Stalin
23) miscellaneous Eastern Orthodox trinkets
24) pins from Penjikent, Tajikistan
25) cork of a wine bottle from Cricova, the wine capital of Moldova
26) set of card with classical Chinese painting scenes
27) Mao pins and lots of coins
28) small containers of rose syrup from Bulgaria
29) a lion seal from China
30) a Chinese bamboo scroll saying "Everything According To Your Wishes"
31) many Chinese scrolls and fans with poetry and traditional scenes - why did I buy these? That must have been a phase I went through in the 1990s when I was in China for business... the interesting one is a famous poem by patriotic Sung Dynasty general, Yuefei, Manjianghong
32) a Nubian drum piece from Abu Simbel area in southern Egypt
33) figurines of the Egyptian falcon headed god, Horus
34) prints of old maps and paintings from The National Gallery, London and other places